Saturday, July 25, 2009

Week 3: Media Project Collaboration...

synergy
Since one of the objectives of this month is to develop a roadmap for our media projects, I got to thinking... When it comes to creating something stellar, aren't two heads better than one? I mean, we can't all be good at everything... so why not ask an expert for help?

One of my weaknesses lies in the composition of original music for inclusion in my multimedia projects. Sure, I know HOW to do it and, if I spent enough time on it, I'm sure I could produce something that wasn't "too bad." But what if what I want is musical brilliance? I recognize the importance of music in a multimedia project to not only set the tone of the piece, but also to inspire, entertain and inform the viewer. If I can't personally produce such a musical masterpiece, can I outsource the task? Better yet, can I swap my skills as a designer for the music I need for my media project?

An open letter to Dr. Sue Bedard:

Hi Dr. Bedard,

Would I be breaking any rules if I asked a fellow classmate to compose an original piece of music to include as just a component part of my media project and, in exchange, I offered to design a graphical component for his?

Is such a thing frowned upon and celebrated as collaboration?

Her response:

As long as you are in charge of the production of the project you can ask for help and assistance on what ever you would like :)

Image Credit: Stock photography purchased by Emily Wray from http://www.photos.com.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, thats good to know. Too bad that I am not strong enough in that kind of project to barter my skills. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nifty. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, one of the first things that Full Sail tells us when we tell our students not to take commercial music without permission is that this is a media school, so there's likely to be some student in the program who has the skills you need for your project....

    ReplyDelete