Thursday, July 30, 2009

Week 4: SPAMDEX Who? What? How?


Ever wonder why people leave seemingly random comments/links on one of your blog posts???

Hello Spamdexing! It’s an irritating, yet brilliant way to take advantage of the way search engines index pages to advertise or promote commercial services. By adding links to your comment fields, spammers automatically (albeit artificially) increase their sites’ search engine ranking… making their name appear higher in the list of Google search results and potentially increasing their business on the web.

This got me thinking – Is there a way to harness the “power of the comment” for good instead of evil? If I post a legitimate comment on another blog or wiki, yet link back to my site – Am I a spammer?

Image Credit: Stock photography purchased by Emily Wray from http://www.photos.com.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Comments on my blog need to be approved by moi and I request a website link. That's also a dead giveaway of a spammer is the kind of link they use.

    ReplyDelete