Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Week 3: Reading... Giving an A

In "The Art of Possibility" Zander and Zander explain the practice of giving an A as the conscious realization and appreciation of everyone's individual contribution as a true and valid offering, not to be measured against one's own expectations. Far from just giving someone the benefit of the doubt, giving an A is the recognition of someone's infinite potential.

As mentioned in a previous post, I started reading this book during the break we had immediately before starting Media Asset Creation. When I got to the chapter about giving an A, I thought for sure Mr. Bustillos was going to follow suit and have us all write letters that began:

Dear Mr. Bustillos, I got my A because...

Below would have been my response.

Dear Mr. Bustillos,

I got my A because I would have never settled for less. Please allow me to explain... It's not the grade that I covet, nor any sort of outward measure of my success or failure in the course. What really mattered to me was my own perception of how hard I tried.

You see, I've always known higher education was in the cards for me, yet I promised myself I would not commit to a program that I wasn't wholeheartedly sure of. When I discovered Full Sail's EMDT program, I literally jumped out of my chair and did a happy dance. In that instant, a million little dots started connecting in my mind forming the shape of my future.

I was determined that the EMDT program and every course that composed it be a catalyst for professional growth, the alignment of my interests and talents. As such, I have given it my all... from blisters to bliss... all of me.

Without having to worry about a grade, I felt self-conscious that my work-product/effort for the class wasn't meeting your expectations/objectives. Then I realized, it was my own expectations that I needed to exceed... and I did. The sandbox you provided allowed me a safe environment to explore and reflect on my purpose in the class, the EMDT program and beyond. The experience was a personal one - challenging my strengths, weaknesses and, most importantly, my perception of the two.

I've found comfort and reward in turning every challenge before me into an opportunity for growth. I am now a better version of me.


Sources:

Zander, R. & Zander, B. (2002). The art of possibility: Transforming professional and personal life. New York: Penguin Books.

Flash animation created and posted by Emily Wray at http://blip.tv/file/2386806/

3 comments:

  1. Really diggin' the Flash animation. That was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't read too much into the follow the dots, but I find it interesting that one of the low points was falling in love... As for giving an "A" I certainly identify with the importance of moving beyond external measures when it comes to "success," thus, "giving an A" isn't giving anything at all. If we had done the exercise than the focus of your letter to the future would have been as the person who has gotten the A and who that person is compared to the person now and it would be your responsibility to do (or be) whatever it would take to become that person. And as your instructor my job is to help you along that path (which I'm sure that you already understood... ). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dots actually scatter to points that, when connected, spell el Wray. The highs and lows are arbitrary. The red color, however, does indicate a fiery passion.

    ReplyDelete