Thursday, July 23, 2009

Week 3: The Value of Stickam?


Working through the Stickam tutorials prior to tonight's practice session, I was skeptical of this web-based, live video feed application. I kept thinking to myself, "Why go to so much trouble?" I mean, we all (EMDT students) have iChat and Skype, both of which have powerful video and teleconferencing capabilities... Not to mention there's Wimba, which accommodates audio, video, chat and a presentation platform...

What's so great about Stickam, especially since you have to use Skype to troubleshoot its audio deficiencies?

But... when my entire group got logged in and all our faces were visible via the feed, I couldn't help but smile. I immediately knew the value of Stickam: TOGETHERNESS!

Yes, we've all heard each other's voices via Wimba and seen each other's images through various projects, but it is quite a different experience to see everyone live, in real time. I couldn't stop smiling. My classmates are real people! Throughout the EMDT program I have battled feelings of isolation and, even though I have developed deep and meaningful relationships with many of my classmates, when the computer gets turned off at the end of the night, so do our connections. Tonight's Stickam's session, in some small way, helped bridge the gap between our worlds.

So when I turn off my computer tonight, I'll still be thinking of... Chris with his sore back, Abram tucking lil Evelyn into bed, Julia surfing the web at a bar, Libby looking very studious in her reading glasses, Nick as chill as ever and Joe packing up his boxes getting ready to move... It feels nice to get to know you all on another level.



Image Credit: Screen shot taken by Emily Wray of live Stickam session on 7/23/09

3 comments:

  1. I am with you on this one. Even with the delay in the video feed, it just felt a little more communal when we could all see each other. I was thinking that this could be a pretty cool thing to use with my students, but then I remembered than none of them are 14 : (

    At any rate, perhaps I can use this with some of the parents when coordinating things like costuming or after school activities. And think, someday you'll be able to do all of this from your phone (even if it isn't a Nokia).

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPhone will have video conferencing. Just a matter of time... that... will... be... so... cool!
    I agree. I think there was just one other time where the entire class (during a Wimba session) attempted to get on their webcams and see everyone else live. I had the same feeling then that Emily had last night, and I had it again last night. I was excited, I felt more connected, and couldn't help but smile. It was so cool seeing all of your faces. It even puts a smile on my face thinking about it now. I'm excited about our next session.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stickam can be such a pain in the butt (another small group took over an hour to set-up and two members never did get their smiling faces on camera... ugh), but it is all about being in the same "space" in a way that SL/VR and one-at-a-time Wimba can't do (yet). :-D makin' friends...

    ReplyDelete