Thursday, July 30, 2009

Week 4: iPhoto Photo Editing Tutorial

iPhoto vs. Photoshop
This is a quick and dirty response to the iPhoto tutorials posted on FSO...

Sure, iPhoto is a great photo organization/inventory tool, but as a Photoshop enthusiast, that's where I'll continue to do any/all editing of my photos. Photoshop offers so much more in the way of controls and effects. But, knowing how user-unfriendly and counter-intuitive Photoshop can be, the simplicity of iPhoto can be refreshing.

If Photoshop is Rocky Road, then iPhoto is Vanilla... sometimes you feel like a nut...

I couldn't have made this ultra-cool graphic in iPhoto...

Image Credit: Graphic created by Emily Wray in Photoshop using screen shots from her own computer.

4 comments:

  1. Ack, my previous comment did not post... I wonder if I can be as clever the 2nd time... no, I don't think I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you could not have made that cool graphic in iPhoto, but that isn't really the point. You can not organize and email out your photos like you can in iPhoto from photoshop. So different uses and purposes. Can I live with one or the other... I think not. Both is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that you're aware of this, but you can use iPhoto, like Bridge, for catalog management, and when you double-click on an image it will launch Photoshop, let you do your edits in photoshop and then save it back to iPhoto (iphoto > preferences > general > edit photo > in - select 3rd party app ). Most Photoshop pros go with Bridge instead. The only reason to use iPhoto in this manner would be to have the strength of Photoshop's editing combined with the great integration with the rest of the iApps (iMovie, iWeb, iWork, iPages.. er, Pages and Keynote). Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get me wrong... iPhoto is great... I was specifically reviewing its photo editing capabilities.

    ReplyDelete